permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Using Algal Mats as a Soil Amendment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Using Algal Mats as a Soil Amendment
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:44:21 -0400

On 5/15/2011 8:05 PM, Bellows,Wendi Lynn wrote:
We have literally tons of algae cleaned out of rivers here in North
Central Florida. Algae is known to hyperconcentrate and fix nitrogen
as well as carbon. Is there anyone out there experimenting with using
algal mats as a soil amendment. We just began sun drying it and using
it in our gardens with amazing results and I am curious if there are
any other folks who have experimented or know of any research on the
subject. Thank you, Wendi Bellows

Does it hyperaccumulate anything toxic or heavy metals or pesticide residues? I assume it is green algae and not some toxic variety like "red tide". Will Google this..