permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Norris Thomlinson <norristh@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:51:07 -0700

I've used leaf mold instead of peat moss, and it seemed to work well.
My city delivered a *huge* truck load of leaves for free in the
autumn. I moved the leaves to a shady unused corner of the back yard
and let them sit for 18 months, adding urine occasionally. Requires
advance planning due to the long break-down time, but otherwise a good
solution, especially if you have free access to other people's "waste"
leaves.

Norris
Portland, OR
http://farmerscrub.blogspot.com