permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:11:23 -0700 (PDT)

I've never used peat moss or coir personally, I use straight compost and am
experimenting with various things like biochar, which should have some of the
same qualities as peat moss. I'd like to hear from people who do aquaponics
using soil, and what combinations they use for that.  If one did use coir, I
would assume one would check sources and get it from the most sustainable
source possible. The reasoning behind sustainability of coir is that it is a
"waste" product in an already existing industry, unlike peat moss, which is
mined from bogs.
Leaves are pretty ubiquitous - does anyone know to what degree they hold
moisture and nutrients and how broken down they need to be?  What else could
be used? I've used Spanish moss as a mulch in our area - it is all over the
place, and holds moisture in the soil when used as a top mulch.