permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Muhl <dmuhl65@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Eliot Coleman's seed starting mixture
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 10:18:38 -0700 (PDT)

I too have been avoiding the use of peat moss for the same reasons Robyn has
listed.

Coconut coir seems like a great alternative in that it offers most of the
same benefits as peat moss (as a seed mix/soil conditioner), but is less
acidic and "re-wets" easier. I have read that coir can however (depending
where it is sourced) contain excess salts, and it might be wise to rinse it
thoroughly after initial rehydration if you are not sure. I've also heard it
can require additional decomposition, and may temporarily tie up nitrogen in
your soil mix. If this is true, it might make sense to pre-mix this material
into some compost (or your finished soil mix), and let it sit for a couple
weeks before using.

Other things to consider are the extra expense and the carbon footprint
involved in getting this material to your location. There surely aren't many
coconut palms growing anywhere near where I live...that's for sure! I think
we should always be experimenting with our own endemic substitutes for such
products.

We don't need to create the "absolute best" seed starting medium at any
expense...we just need a "reasonably good" mix that doesn't endanger the
resilience and diversity of natural ecosystems, and is locally sourced.