permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fukuoka O/T

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ChildrensPeaceGuild <childrenspeaceguild@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fukuoka O/T
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:48:33 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry if this is off-topic, but it's Fukuoka-related and this thread keeps
reminding me to ask around:

Would anyone on this list be willing to help me purchase one of his books
from
an online Japanese site?

Contact me off-list if you can help (or if you want to hear the long story
behind my request)

Thanks to all,
Roman

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this.

Fukuoka's way of communicating tends to lead to misunderstanding.  This is
not
just due to an East/West communications gap.  Even in Japan, he has always
been
an eccentric and outsider who was not understood by the majority.  Well, that
in
itself is also understandable.  If we have a deep direct insight into
something,
it can be very difficult, or even impossible, to communicate this adequately
others.  We have to struggle for words to express what cannot be expressed in
words, because whichever word we chose, there is always a way to
misrepresenting
it.

In the present instance, I would guess that he uses the idea of loosening the
soil with dynamite to tell us just how hard the soil was before and how much
better it was then, after using his method for a number of years.  So, lets
be
clear about this, dynamite (even if he had actually used it at one point in
time) has nothing to do with Fukuoka's farming method or idea of nature.  So
much can be understood.

Dieter

PS: I have studied oriental culture and languages for nearly 40 years, lived
many years in Japan and have experimented for over 10 years with natural
farming
in a semi-arid climate on poor soil that are as different from Fukuoka's
native
climate and soil as they can be. If I get some time, I will translate some
other
writings from the Japanese to show that natural farming is a reality and far
more than Fukuoka.

Texas Plant and Soil Lab
http://www.texasplantandsoillab.com/