permaculture - Re: [permaculture] water boatmen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] water boatmen
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:09:22 +1100

Many of Bills anecdotes are from mid 20th century to early '80s and much has
changed in the world these past few decades, and he's an absolute gold-mine
of bizarre trivia.
I have come across a reference to the eggs being an expensive restaurant
delicacy known as Mexican 'caviar' but apparently very rare now as their
habitats have been polluted, though last century they were a common item in
many Mexican market places.
http://insectspedia.blogspot.com/2010/09/insect-as-food.html
Perhaps they once were exported as a novelty food, though knowing Bills
propensity for exaggeration I doubt it would have been by the 'boatload'.

Robyn

On 24/02/11 12:44 PM, "wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk" <wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> While I was listening to Bill Mollison's Aquaculture lectures, I heard him
> talk about water boatmen (Corixidae) being farmed in South America and being
> shipped by the boatload to England. When I go to find out more on this on
> the
> internet, I come up pretty much empty handed.
> Has anybody else heard of this, and can expand on Bill's comments?
>
> Chris

Permaculture College Australia inc
Pathways to sustainability through
Accredited Permaculture TrainingĀ
Certificates III & IV and Diploma of Permaculture
PDC and short courses

Robyn Francis
International permaculture design and
sustainability consultant, educator & facilitator

Djanbung Gardens
Permaculture Education Centre & Demonstration Farm
PO Box 379 Nimbin NSW 2480
02-6689 1755 / 0429 147 138
www.permaculture.com.au