permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Further Keyline/Yeoman's Plow References

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Further Keyline/Yeoman's Plow References
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 20:41:58 -0500

On 1/18/2011 8:13 PM, Owen Hablutzel wrote:

In addition there is an excellent profile with photos of Yeoman’s plow
results from Chris Gill, a rancher also using Holistic Management in
west Texas, at this LINK:

http://circleranchtx.com/tag/habitatrestoration

This information:

"Plow Design. Timing of Treatments. Possible Seed.

This exchange should be read from the bottom up. It deals with various aspects of designing and using the Yeomans plow. The design of this plow can vary considerably as can its cost. Circle's is 11' wide, with 5 shanks spaced 22" apart. The shanks are mounted on two beams, fore and aft: this keeps crusted soils from lifting off in sheets. We pull it with a 35-year old John Deere 2840 rated at 67hp.

Talk to an expert before ordering one: Two would be either Abe Collins or Ken Yeomans (see contacts tab). I would advise against buying from someone who has neither used one of these plows nor understands Keyline theories. Or call Chris Gill at 210-829-7224."

... is lacking current Yeomans plow sources. I bought mine from:

Market Farm Implement
257 Fawn Hollow Road
Friedens, Pa. 15541
Phone: (814)-443-1931
http://www.marketfarm.com

They have carried a full line of Yeomans plows, accessories and parts
for years and still do and are knowledgeable about this implement.
I have done business with them for years and highly recommend them as a source for Yeomans Plows.

I mounted my three 26" shank Yeomans plows on a single 4" toolbar with category #2 hitch, required by any tractor above 65hp.
I had my toolbar made up from off the shelf components provided and fabricated by Roll-A-Cone Mfg. in Tulia Texas:
http://www.roll-a-cone.com/
Theeir work is top quality and prices are fair; shipping over long distances is easy and affordable. This is the perfect affordable no frills toolbar for a Yeomans. If you need wheels on the sides to control depth of penetration they can equip your unit with them, also affordably. Mine is 8' wide and I pulled it with a John Deere 3020 70hp diesel tractor (one of the best machines JD ever made).

I was using it to rip 48' wide raised garden beds; you can see the YP spacing in the following pix:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/TractorEquipment#5280262928409174386

http://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/TractorEquipment#5280262995374938002

..and in the field at work:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dirt.4arm/TractorEquipment#5280268028755216114