permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] S.510 Food Safety Bill Update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] S.510 Food Safety Bill Update
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:45:57 -0500

On 12/6/2010 2:53 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
S.510 Food Safety Bill Update

There appears to be a lot of misinformation, lack of information and
outright lobbyist propaganda floating around the Web about S.510, so
I decided to call Senator Kay Hagan's office here in NC to ask about
automatic exemptions or otherwise for small farmers contained in the
Hagan-Tester amendment in S.510, the future of their version of the food
safety bill and possibilities for a new and different one proposed in
the next session of Congress. The secretary referred me to her office in
Washington for answers. Here's the contact information in case anyone is
interested. I will post what I find out when I am able to reach them
(line is busy now):

Regarding content and status of S.510 with amendments:

U.S. Senator Kay Hagan
Washington, DC office
202 224 6342
Legislative Correspondent
Jason Lindsay or Stephen Lassiter

There is also the House version of the food safety bill which some say
is better for small farmers but which may be overridden by the Senate
version which, itself, may be defeated due to a procedural irregularity.

I just talked with Stephen in Sen. Hagan's office. He and Jason, in the office's agriculture group, are directly involved with S.510. In just a few words:

Small farm exemptions outlined in the Tester-Hagan Amendment to S.510 will be automatic, at least they are expected to be depending on negotiations needed in the House regarding the tax rider procedural hiccup, moving it to the Senate for approval and finally, to President Barack Obama's desk for his signature and becoming law.

Anyone wanting to know more about progress of this bill should call Stephen or Jason next Monday for an update. Phone: 202 224 6342.