permaculture - [permaculture] S.510 Food Safety Bill Update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
  • Subject: [permaculture] S.510 Food Safety Bill Update
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:53:23 -0500

S.510 Food Safety Bill Update

There appears to be a lot of misinformation, lack of information and outright lobbyist propaganda floating around the Web about S.510, so
I decided to call Senator Kay Hagan's office here in NC to ask about
automatic exemptions or otherwise for small farmers contained in the Hagan-Tester amendment in S.510, the future of their version of the food safety bill and possibilities for a new and different one proposed in the next session of Congress. The secretary referred me to her office in Washington for answers. Here's the contact information in case anyone is interested. I will post what I find out when I am able to reach them (line is busy now):

Regarding content and status of S.510 with amendments:

U.S. Senator Kay Hagan
Washington, DC office
202 224 6342
Legislative Correspondent
Jason Lindsay or Stephen Lassiter

There is also the House version of the food safety bill which some say
is better for small farmers but which may be overridden by the Senate version which, itself, may be defeated due to a procedural irregularity.