permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the evolution of lending libraries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the evolution of lending libraries
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:24:08 -0500

Hello-

I don't know if anyone else out there has connections to Santa Fe? This is what I learned from a friend of mine that lives out there.

She bought a house in an area of Santa Fe that is called The Agua Fria Traditional Historic Community. She said it has been very interesting living in that neighborhood because there is a LOT of sharing between families. It's my understanding that the houses are primarily held by a spanish-speaking community and entire generations of families may own the houses down the length of a road, so they will build one garage on someone's land that is designated for some significant tool, like a snow plow, or back hoe, and then whenever someone needs it, they have it available to the community. Everyone chips in to build the garage, and then there is sharing amongst them when that tool is needed. (I believe they are also annexed from the city such that they don't receive city services such as snow plowing. Don't quote me on that though, but that's what I remember hearing.)

I live in the FL keys, and there is a group that studies metaphysics, spiritual, and other information that you don't readily find in libraries. Two women have organized a weekly meeting of people covering a wide range of topics that's been ongoing for about 8 years, and they include a lending library within this structure. Any of my rather 'fringe' information may make it to their library so others may benefit from it, and then I still know where I can go back to find it again if I want to reference it. We had been taking books to our library with the idea we could always check them out if we wanted, and then found out that the library culls anything they don't consider very relevant to their location and has a book sale each year. This more 'specific' lending library is a much better location for our reference material.

JodyT