permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "Weird" Science - Microbes and Soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "Weird" Science - Microbes and Soil
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 09:58:37 -0800 (PST)

> Sensing points to a fundamentally new way of thinking about
> this in our farms. We need to increase the r
> atio of good-guy microbes in the soil and on the plant
> surfaces in relation to the "bad-guy" pathogen
> microbes. Research on plant pathogen suppression with
> composts backs this up. It's the amount of a plant
> pathogen species #s in a compost relative to the total pile
> of microbes that determines whether the plants will develop
> the disease.

And what does this mean in practical terms?

If I feed my soil with a wide variety of organic matter, this is likely to
produce a wide variety microbes. And the resulting fertile soil is likely to
produce healthy plants that are capapble of withstand disease. There is
nothing very new about that.

Dieter