permaculture - [permaculture] the evolution of lending libraries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk" <wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] the evolution of lending libraries
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:03:25 +0000 (GMT)

In my research on the keys to successful resilient communities, two important
elements seem to be complementary currencies and lending libraries.

In the 21st century, a lending library should be about a whole lot more than
books. We have all seen CDs and DVDs of course, and this will continue to
grow as the internet spreads audio and video files, and hard drive capacity
continues to grow. But what about the lending of more physical items, such
as tools and equipment.

Has anybody seen any good examples of extended lending, or have any good
ideas about what else could be commonly owned in a community, and lent out to
its memebrs?

Chris