permaculture - Re: [permaculture] colony collapse disorder solved!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelly Simmons <kelly@bouldersustainability.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] colony collapse disorder solved!
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:06:08 -0700

I wrote an article on what I call "ecological beekeeping" in Permaculture Activist a few years ago (Summer 2008). I've taught ecological beekeeping in many PDCs around Colorado, including at CRMPI. I'd be happy to help, although I wouldn't call myself an authority on the subject.

You might want to get in touch with Dee Lusby of Organic Beekeepers in Arizona (its a yahoo group) and a national organization she started. They have an annual conference in February that I spoke at a few years ago. She is a pioneer in "no inputs beekeeping" and has mentored a lot of folks. Also Michael Bush of Bush Farms in Nebraska is quite knowledgeable and beekeeps organically. He is an amazing wealth of information and has done quite a lot of original research into cell size and varroa mite populations. You can find him via Google. Neither of these folks is a permaculturist, but both are master beekeepers that practice beekeeping commercially without using the high input, traditional methods and without extreme CCD losses. Dee has always been considered a weirdo, maverick by the regular beekeeping folks nationally.

My guess is that it will not be easy to find peer reviewed articles. Unfortunately politics plays a big part in the research that gets done. The National Bee Labs are funded in large part by fees that commercial beekeepers pay, and so they have a large say in what questions get studied. In my view beekeeping is about where plant agriculture was about 30 years ago. The organic practitioners are often viewed with skepticism (at best) and accused of harboring disease that will infect the traditional beekeepers. There's not a lot of respect and goodwill overall. Lots of commercial beekeepers are seriously struggling without much attention or help and they are angry and scared and demoralized. Cheap honey imports from global trade are making it all but impossible to do a good job and stay in business.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Kelly