permaculture - [permaculture] moles, voles, gophers, and deer, oh my

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] moles, voles, gophers, and deer, oh my
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:00:41 -0700 (PDT)

The first permaculture principle that comes to mind here is to turn a problem
into a solution: eat them.  If you can't bring yourself to do that than my
experience with each of these is the following:

1.  Moles- aren't much of a problem except where they mess up foundations,
paths, or greywater pipes, etc.  They are carnivores and pretty much leave
plants alone.  If necessary, underground mole traps or a cat work pretty well.

2.  Voles- the bane of my existence, making it very difficult to establish
trees and impossible to have an annual garden.  Trapping is the only
guaranteed solution for an annual garden, but a cat can be good enough for
perennials.  Vole population and behavior vary widely by climate, vegetation,
population dynamics, etc.  I am in a Mediterranean climate with oak savannah.
Simply observe where voles are currently active and put regular mouse traps
in their tunnels and paths, covered with buckets or pots to keep out cats and
to make a safer-feeling environment for the voles.  The traps with the wide
plastic ramp-triggers work best.  Trees and other perennials must be planted
with aviary wire all the way around their roots and the upper six inches of
trunk to be totally safe, though I often just use plastic bottles with their
bottoms cut out around small plants, with three or more inches sticking above
the ground for small or cheap plants that
voles seem less interested in.  During dips in the vole population, you can
sometimes get trees or shrubs established without much trouble, but this is
very risky and voles have been known to topple mature trees like figs.

3.  Gophers- similar to voles, though fewer in number, thus making them
easier to trap.  Traps usually must be specifically made for voles and all
tunnels are underground, making the setting of traps trickier and more
laborious.

4.  Deer- fencing deer is the only long-term solution, other than killing
them.  Depending on the topography and population density, fencing must be
more or less elaborate.  I've used two inch mesh chicken wire on posts set 15
ft apart with the fencing only six feet high with few problems.  The plastic
fencing also works great, though degrades faster if in the sun.  Eight ft is
recommended in more densely populated areas, though you can get away with
shorter fencing by putting lines of twine above the fencing, spaced every ft
or so.  White flagging helps the deer see the twine.  Two four foot high
barriers spaced four feet apart also works, and one or both of these can be
hedges, so fencing can be reduced by live barriers over time.  Dense bamboo
can work, for example.  Fencing with ground receding on the outside works
better than the opposite.  Less sturdy fencing requires more observation and
maintenance.  Trained dogs can also keep deer
away.

For trees out in the open, I've used five ft high fencing cut in seven ft
pieces to make rounds that are secured on one or more stakes.  This is the
minimum protection trees need to grow above the browse level, and most
branches within the fence will eventually get chewed off by the deer.  I
often have to use sticks to direct the branches up and away from the fencing.
Wider fencing would be better, but would require more stakes.  Eventually,
the fencing can be removed, but you need to watch for deer destroying the
trunks by rubbing their antlers on them during the rutting season (Fall).
This is more common in open country, and may require basically permanent wire
mesh or other barriers on the trunks.

Keep in mind that everything I've said is from my experience on the US West
Coast, and conditions may be different elsewhere.  Also beware of gimmicky
recommendations like putting scents out to deter beasts, or those silly solar
vibrator things (which may work on a limited scale when move around
frequently).  For real subsistence food growing situations, "easy" solutions
will not work over time, in my experience.

Good luck,

Rain

>From cory8570@yahoo.com Mon Nov 1 17:57:25 2010
t88648624; bh=/SWXDGTQiEiZIoHmyPPtLvdbZ0dPirT2x0Au1lNRIwg=;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=Hzciesyd98v3sO43wmBsDVfxE4juo72THGFmzB3HyArfUifhxAeSZfMtLI3PlgTGOrjuTsiTD6b4XIpmE4IM615LdIeEw8URDQvbTx6GNq+n0fk/dA0/rrP0GBzywKm8HEcG8RazmAg3P1kimVGUuUvWCEqj+639sXMoBqoy8YwDomainKey-Signature:
a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;

b=3MNFmC9OqINZjSAlITVlBfYcRyxIcewHImVgfEpeZVluEFWE14mC4t9bYrEUVmPZQm9F/anGRBpoPeFp4+ew8iV0OgkMkLa1WAGRwJUMe/y2uLLg9KzmnGPmA5UpySbVpuwaeULJWHX22Dn7pqjhxoHWZ/Af2xrFUqJ5hSzMJpM=;