permaculture - Re: [permaculture] moles, voles, GOPHERS, and deer, oh my

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] moles, voles, GOPHERS, and deer, oh my
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:19:35 -0700 (PDT)

> The most effective deterrent that I have seen is
> sound.  The battery powered spikes that poke in the
> ground and emit high frequency sounds seem to work
> well.

That's the one I used. There is also a type that uses a small solar panel
instead of batteries. It's expensive and it won't work in my garden which
has a lot of shade. The cheapest method is to half burry empty bottles at a
slight angle in the ground. The wind entering the open bottle will make a
sound that is to deter the voles. It’s the sound you make when you blow into
an open bottle at an angle. I tried this without much success. But we are
in a valley and don’t get much wind.

Dieter Brand
Portugal