permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Intro- SB Organics Rare Food Nursery and Regen Ag

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Intro- SB Organics Rare Food Nursery and Regen Ag
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 02:35:57 +0000

Awesome! or should I say- Radical!

I would love to connect with your friend here in Santa Barbara. Who knows, I
may even show him some of our surf spots :) We are also a WOOFing site,
though winter is normally our off season (also the surf season!) If he has
an interest in a place to stay we may be able to arrange something.

Surfing has been a really great way to promote Permaculture and
sustainability in general. Everything drains to the ocean, and we as surfers
bathe in it as often as possible, so we have a vested interest in keeping it
clean.

We are promoting the idea that all pollution is also an underutilized
resource, which may be an opportunity to create new business models. Through
ecological design we can decrease, if not eliminate, ocean pollution. For
example, plastic trash can be turned back into fuel for areas with no trash
collection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2BDAvjDPs).

We also have done social work, through art in schools promoting environmental
education. The children will be the ones to protect and steward the oceans,
so we guide them to love the ocean and have fun taking care of it.

Of course, we are Surfers Without Borders, so surfing is key element in
connecting with diverse groups of people. We feel we can reach people that
may not be exposed to Permaculture otherwise.

Thanks for the interest!
Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com