permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hierarchies and networks

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew McSwain <aeromax.way@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hierarchies and networks
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:03:41 +0430

"It makes it easier for activists to express themselves, and harder for that
expression to have any impact "-- as opposed to what, a hierchical
organization like a car company? If this is then case, then I disagree.

One of the largest problems with hierchical organizations these days is that
there is too large of a distance between the peons and the decision-makers.
That in a hierchical organization like a car company the activists will get
absolutely no voice at all. In a hierchical organization SOMETHING will
happen. They tend to be good at executing an action of any sort, but in most
cases of extreme hierarchy (like most companies and many activists groups)
they fail at being coping with a dynamic set of circumstances. That's why we
are in the environmental crisis that we are today. TONS of us have known
since the 60s, one could argue that we have known collectively since
Thoreau. Have our opinions, priorities, and perspectives been taken into
account?

first of all: I wouldn't say that dynamical systems are always less
effective. sometimes being more included in the actual processes makes you
feel "empowered." Most corrupt and/or low-productivity participants are a
product of overly mechanistic, rule-based, and one-way pidgeon-holed work
environments: that is, because of too much hierarchy, not too little.

second of all, I would say that a change in culture can help us with our
problems in more disorganized structures. We come from a
long-long-long---long--- history of extremely hierchical systems. When we
got rid of our king, everyone became their own king (instead of a humble and
equal member of a king-less society), we learned to dominate others to the
best of our ability. The situation improved little, and from my own personal
experiences has improved little since.

Everyone wants to build their own sandcastle, but lack the motivation to
construct a town square.

I see have seem the same type of problem in my community organizing
activities and pariticipations: it's all about personal conquest. There is
little room for compromise, listening, or any true reflection or accounting
of "hey. what are our real priorities? Do our behaviors and actions line up
with our priorities to form a reality that completes our mission? The
community organizing effort, or cause, ends up becoming each and every
person's personal sand castle- and everyone feels justified in defending
what they feel is their's.

That's what I feel happened here between the factions.

--
Andrew Edwin McSwain
055(11)6785-1176 (São Paulo)