permaculture - Re: [permaculture] official certification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] official certification
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 09:24:30 -0700

On Oct 22, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Cory Brennan wrote:

> Every PDC I know of gives a certificate at the end of the course saying
> "Permaculture Design Course" and none of them say "trainee." I was told by
> my teacher that I should apprentice for minimum two years to become a
> teacher, but not a designer.

Definitely get out and design, no matter whether you've taken a PDC or
whatever. And design, and design some more. The issue is in calling oneself
"certified," as the certificate is simply a certificate of completion of the
PDC, not of certification as a designer (I'd hate to think there are
certificates out there saying "certified Pc designer", but then, most people
just make up their own. I use the one Mollison created, via the Permaculture
Institute USA). It seems bizarre for someone who has done one team design
project in a class to say they are a certified designer.

And I totally agree that too many issues were begun in fairly vague terms by
BIll. There are currently a number of efforts, in Oz, NZ, UK, and US, among
others, to clarify them. The comments so far all suggest a high level of
integrity, which is the saving grace for all this.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com