permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PC ethics and whatnot

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jonathan Storvick <jstorvick@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PC ethics and whatnot
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:53:43 -0400

*someone wrote*
" if your list of allowable topics doesn't include the 3rd Ethic, then the
subject of your discussion is not Permaculture."
*and there was much debating thereof*

Just my two cents here: The nebulous Third Ethic that is being bandied
about here has yet to have a consensual definition among all parties. I've
seen it expressed as "Set Limits to Population and Consumption", "Fair
Share", "Redistribute the Surplus", as well as a whole range of stuff
involving politics, human rights, and of course, the range of stuff that
exploded in the thread(s) about teaching permaculture to the military and
the resulting conflict and "censorship"/bannings etc. I think that if
you're going to seriously accuse someone of being in "breach" of ethic 3,
you should define exactly what you mean by that. You should also realize
that each of us is going to have our own interpretation of that particular
ethic (as well as the first two), and that THAT IS OK. We don't all have
the same exact views, and that is a good thing because otherwise this
awesome thing we call permaculture would quickly dissolve into the
infighting and other bullshit that characterizes organized movements.
Permaculture is NOT an organized movement, it is a process, a method of
design, a template for thinking differently about how we affect ourselves,
the landscape and ecosystems, and all of the complex interactions therein.
It is not something that can be tied down to one person's particular opinion
of what it should be.

As far as I'm concerned:

All parties concerned ARE following the 3rd Ethic, as they define it, and as
they see fit.

I'm glad to see that there are folks attempting to positively influence and
infuse revolutionary ideas into the ways our military interacts with native
populations. I'm also glad to see that there are folks who actively oppose
the impacts of a rogue military-industrial complex on indigenous groups and
ecosystems. You are both doing good work, just in different ways and on
different fronts. And no matter what you might think, you aren't exactly
working against each other, or against our ultimate common goals.

LL, it's your list, and you should totally run it as you see fit. That very
well may piss some people off, but those people are welcome to start their
own lists. I enjoy the information and discussions here, and if I have
something that doesn't belong here, I know to take it elsewhere.

Anyway, good evening, everyone. I'm heading upstairs to stir the freshly
fermenting batch of honey-blueberry wine (melomel?) I started a couple of
days ago, and then call it a night.

Cheers,

Jon

  • Re: [permaculture] PC ethics and whatnot, Jonathan Storvick, 09/22/2010