permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More Tools for Defusing Hostilities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wil and Megan Seiler <logboy@bordernet.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More Tools for Defusing Hostilities
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:11:34 +1000

This course sounds great and I know of others particularly in our part of the world by Robyn Clayfield of Crystal Waters Queensland Aust. More of this stuff is needed to get together the collective conscience of "getting on".

Please forgive my self indulgence and rambling here but I get around my little world with a certain sense of naivety believing in the people care ethic and fair share without a second thought and get confused and my senses are offended when I see a deeply hostile and power hungry person. I have to admit that the concept of workshops to combat this anguish once would set off alarm bells of "hippy shit", but I now see that very few people are capable of truly taking on the People Care ethic let alone Fair Share in every sense of the word as easy as that is to me. (I know that sounds ego- please don't take it that way)

I was recently reminded of this when giving a workshop on Permaculture in general for the local garden festival. Someone commented to me - "yes, but it is people who ruin the concept" and proceeded to focus on the so call established Eco village and communal living problems. Real shame cause it is true to an extent....

Where did true humour and letting go of someones's careless words go? Not so long ago people in the Western context had to live together in family units to try and get ahead. What do you think is around the corner? This is what we are going to have to learn to do again and it is going to take a strength of character more stoic than any other time in history. If Permies can't do it who will lead the way?

I love this forum and read more often than not as an unintentional voyeur - never having enough time to comment... but this is important to me.

Wil and I (Megan ) run a 540 acre farm in SE Qld based on Permaculture. Our whole lives have been based on permaculture since we were 17. I did my PDC in 91 and Wil despite doing Post Grd degrees in Sust, Science he is now in Melbourne doing his PDC with Bill Mollison and Geoff Lawton. We both recently did the Advance Skills workshop with David Holmgren and would highly recommend that to everyone who can get to it. Despite continual lack of funds and labour we make our living for almost 20 years with the multitude of produce a Perm, system can bring mostly focusing on free range pigs (Wessex Saddleback- fed mainly via the system), cattle,vegetables,honey ,olives and the add ons of everything else including the farm open days we now have and teaching we are trying to get together. We want to make it known we are very seriously thinking about an intentional community here and have much to offer. Lots of highly developed infrastructure and tools and are very happy to send anyone the Prospectus for this. Our website is <www.bottletreehill.com.au>. We are not necessarily talking about money changing hands just a chance to build your own enterprise or be part of ours.

Anyway that is my bit.... please lets get over hiccips like this however small they may be.

megan seiler