permaculture - Re: [permaculture] censorship

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] censorship
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 15:26:46 -0400

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM, paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com> wrote:

> To end up with something that has content and is low on A and B takes
> ..... censorship.
>
> Well said. This is the 5th major conflagration in this list since it
started
in 1992. If I hadn't done _something_ the forum would have really gone
downhill and many subscribers would have left.
Those very few (including myself on occasion - never again) who were
compounding the problem were
unsubscribed and their posts deleted; often I did not put the forum on
emergency moderation soon enough
and a lot got through that should not have have. Lessons learned.

Again, the exclusive focus of this forum is permaculture.
Those that want to discuss politics, economics, ethics and morality,
religion,
social engineering, military (except humanitarian aid & PC) should take it
to private email,
go to other lists, blogs, wikis or start their own.

> I suspect that LL is in a similar boat: if somebody wants to make a
> mailing list that is all about the stuff that LL doesn't want on his
> list, then he will gladly direct people to that list.

Certainly will.

> It is unfortunate how fragmented permaculture stuff is. Rather than
> 20 sites all trying to be "permaculture central" it would be nice to
> have one central site. At the same time, there is a lot of stuff that
> people want to label "permaculture" that is outside the comfort zone
> of others. So - I think we cannot avoid the fragmentation.

I think it will boil down to just a few permaculture forums that get wide
and frequent use, this one, permies.com, locally-oriented lists
and perhaps a few in other countries such as England and Australia.
We will likely see the same phenomenom in the world of permaculture wikis,
websites and blogs, a few will dominate and become encyclopedic in nature,
getting wide use with many contributors while others will remain relatively
transient.
There's always room for novel sites that develop rapidly with unique and
popular resources,
especially so as the Web utilizes new technology and innovative software on
an ongoing basis..

LL: I applaud the work you do. I support your right to ban anybody
> who cannot play within your comfort zone. I know it is a painful
> thing to do, and that you do it for what you believe is in the best
> interests of the community.

Thanks very much, Paul. I really do appreciate the support.
Over the years it has become obvious that this permaculture list is a
unique knowledgebase, represents a gold mine of information and is always a
wonderful place to learn from other subscribers, contribute and be part of a
valuable
synergy of resource sharing and development. It is for the people who value
this
that I started and maintain this forum and make sure that it continues to
exist
on a secure and reliable host.

LL