permaculture - [permaculture] Svar: Re: Perma-Data needed!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Thomas Paul Jahn" <tpj@life.ku.dk>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Perma-Data needed!
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:11:45 +0200

Andrew and others.
I am sitting at the University and I am myself in the process of writing a
grand application for a permaculture project at the faculty. I am well
familiar with the challanges you describe the benefit of permaculture in
numbers.
Your list is extremely broad. But to make somekind of start for a list of
data sources:

The book by Martin Crawford: "Creating a forest garden" is very useful in
terms of numbers. Both for nutrient efficiency of the system and the
financial requirements for setting up a garden. He more focusses on
efficiency than productivity and he is very careful not to say, permaculture
is MORE productive. But anyway. A very useful book.

The other book I come to think of is David Blume: "Alcohol can be a gas". As
the title tells, it only looks at alcohol as fuel. But in a very holistic way.

I think the way to go when writing an application is to focus on one or few
simple and measurable parameter and then include the whole array of other
benefits as an extra gift.
cheers
Thomas

>>> Andrew Millison 03-09-10 6:48 >>>
I know that there are infinite variables and each project and site has its
own unique conditions. But there are a lot of numbers that have been
collected in certain circumstances: Crime rates dropping, gallons of water
collected, heat units saved after a retrofit. I'm just looking for those
tidbits of data that many Permaculturists weave into their teaching and
presenting narratives that they have sources for.

Thanks for the input thus far, I hope to get more

Andrew