permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What weeds or cover crops are high in nitrogen, i.e. suitable for harvesting to make High N liquid fertilizer?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What weeds or cover crops are high in nitrogen, i.e. suitable for harvesting to make High N liquid fertilizer?
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

The traditionally best known plants for making liquid fertilizer include
nettles, thistles, and comfrey.

We can likely assume that nitrogen-fixers like the clovers will be especially
high in N.

One place to look for information is the biodynamic use of teas.  I like
adding any of the plants they use in BD preps which include nettles, yarrow,
chamomile, valerian, dandelion, horsetail and oak bark.

Personally, I think that all weeds have value as fertilizer.  the more mature
the plant becomes the larger the carbon nitrogen ratio becomes. More carbon
and less Nitrogen. Weeds for liquid fertilizer are best used when lush green.
I use woodier, older weed material in coarse material compost piles.

Obviously you don't use plant material that has viable seed if it is a
species you don't want to increase.

If a place doesn't have nettles they are well-advised to establish a patch
where it can spread, but not near pathways.

Fermented plant liquid fertilizer has many yummies in it besides the N such
as minerals, all kinds of complex breakdown products and, according to
biodynamic thought, even lunar, solar and stellar influences.

Weedily

Michael Pilarski

--- On Thu, 5/27/10, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>