permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC 9 and 10

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: grifenhope@gmail.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC 9 and 10
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 04:04:07 +0000

What a load of bollocks. Im out.
-----Original Message-----
From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 23:54:51
To: permaculture<permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>

Scott Pittman wrote:
> Hi Wes,
>
> I have heard some very disturbing news about the convergence in Africa and
> am writing you for clarification. Basically it is being reported that Geoff
> Lawton and Ali Sharif bullied people into dropping Cuba (as we had agreed on
> in Brazil) in favor of Jordan.
>
> I am very disturbed about this treatment by our international body toward
> Cuba. To my mind they have far more to offer IPC10 than does Jordan, which
> as far as I can tell has one project done by Geoff Lawton to demonstrate. I
> am not interested in participating in his aggrandizement, particularly to
> the detriment of Cuba.
>
> I would appreciate your take on what took place and the email addresses of
> anyone who participated in the selection so I can also solicit their views.

I am not in the loop but would like to back all that Scott has said, to
the letter. With all that Cuba has to offer, rich proving ground for
work in the permaculture arena that it is, it is amazing to me that,
when political protocol will allow a PC convergence in Cuba, that the so
called "power elite" of this important movement turns down such a
remarkable opportunity. Did you know that Cuba has one of the most
robust, old and diverse ecological zones in the entire world, if not the
most diverse? That is unique and beautiful, a rare thing. I have seen a
TV documentary on it, on PBS. I'll bet the Cubans would arrange a side
trip to this zone for the PC convergence attendees. Also, politically,
it would be timely and productive for an international event like this
to happen there, very important, in my view, an opportunity, maybe rare,
not to be missed.

People in positions of authority with the power to create worthwhile
happenings for permaculture folks all over the world should know better
than to trade Cuba for Jordan for the convergence.

Also, for Americans, this would be an especially valuable opportunity to
see and be seen in Cuba, to promote Permaculture, better relations with
the USA and to carry home valuable lessons and experiences to tell the
rest of the country about, important as there is a vast and growing
movement happening in my country, as there is all over the world.

Thank all the positive forces at work in out universe for this forum and
for everyone who has made it the useful resource that is is and will
continue to be.

How about two convergences or a split in the international governing
body with each group going its own way and everyone else having a choice
of two events each year?

The message is not to bully people but we can sure as hell vote with our
feet.

Lawrence London