permaculture - [permaculture] washing dishes: by hand vs. dishwasher

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Josh Robinson <welcometherain@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] washing dishes: by hand vs. dishwasher
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:49:08 -0700

I will also add a plug for washing dishes by hand so that it can be reused
as household greywater for outdoor food growing. Dishwashers require pretty
nasty detergents that are loaded with sodium and if used in a drylands or
semi-dryland climate will kill your soil and plants. That is true for even
the "eco" brands if you read the labels. However, doing dishes by hand
gives the benefit of choosing what soap I use and I can make sure it is 100%
compatible with greywater. So for me washing dishes by hand not only saves
me the initial water over a dishwasher, but I get to use the same water with
all that beneficial organic matter to grow currants, gooseberries,
elderberry, mint, and numerous edible flowers!

Josh

--
Josh Robinson
Eden on Earth, LLC

www.EdenOnEarthLandscaping.com
www.QuakingAspenPermaculture.blogspot.com

  • [permaculture] washing dishes: by hand vs. dishwasher, Josh Robinson, 05/11/2010