permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Hair to help

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steven & Margaret Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Hair to help
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 12:12:32 -0400

Hello,
Is it feasible to get empty supertankers in the gulf to skim oil off the
surface to be refined? I imagine floating mats with intakes just below the
surface pumping oil/water mixture into their holds for removal as a first
response to decrease the volume of loose oil before it hits beaches. I am
sure the refineries can handle a water oil mixture given the technology that
is being used on oil sands in Canada where currently a good share of our
gasoline is now coming from. BP is saying weeks to months before they can
get a handle on the well head, which could mean catastrophic quantities of
oil spilled with possible contamination of the Gulf Stream.

Steven Eisenhauer