permaculture - [permaculture] Carbon farming as solution to climate change?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Carbon farming as solution to climate change?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT)

I recently talked to a fellow permaculturist that attended a presentation by
Darren Dougherty on carbon farming as a solution to climate change.  I doubt
his perspective was representative of everyone who was present, but he was
touting carbon farming as a cure-all, in the same vein as a technological fix
that absolves us of the need to make radical social and personal lifestyle
changes (like minimizing air travel).  My understanding is that carbon
farming has the potential to be a big part of the solution, but is limited
mostly to temperate soils that are capable of storing carbon (without the
more intensive charcoal method) and is still in the beginning stages of
investigation.  It would require the same level of political will that the
other solutions would require in order to get landowners and farmers around
the world to actually implement it, so really has no strategic advantage over
the other solutions.  In my opinion, almost all the changes
that are needed to stop climate change have side benefits and should be
pursued regardless of climate change, so carbon farming is not special in
this regard.  Could somebody give me a realistic assessment of the potential
of carbon farming?

Thanks,

Rain