permaculture - [permaculture] OSU Corvallis, OR, Summer Permaculture Courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] OSU Corvallis, OR, Summer Permaculture Courses
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:12:13 -0700

The Department of Horticulture

at Oregon State University

*PERMACULTURE SUMMER LINEUP*

*Permaculture Design Certification Course: Corvallis, Oregon HORT 299*

*July 19 - Aug 6*, 2010, Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm @ Oregon State University’s Urban
Horticulture Center

*Cost*: $750 (10% couples discount)

*Instructor*: Andrew Millison, with guests Larry Korn, Mark Lakeman, Leonard
Barrett, Heiko Koester, Tao Orion, Rick Valley, and others

*Field Trips* to Portland City Repair, Aprovecho and others

This course is open to both enrolled OSU students and to the general public.
We will cover the internationally recognized Permaculture Designer
Certification curriculum with classroom work, field trips, hands-on
projects, experiential exercises, amazing guest speakers and a great design
project.

Permaculture Design is a method of land planning that works at scales from
garden to farm and village to city. It is an ethically based holistic
design system that uses principles derived from ecosystems, native peoples,
and time-tested ways to create sustainable settlements and
organizations. Although
rooted in agriculture, Permaculture design is interdisciplinary, touching on
many subjects including regional planning, ecology, animal husbandry,
horticulture, appropriate technology, architecture, and international
development.

*Advanced Permaculture Design: Corvallis, Oregon HORT 499/599*

*Sept 7 – 24*, 2010, Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm (with a 4 day field trip) @ Oregon
University’s Urban Horticulture Center

*Cost*: $900 (10% couples discount)

*Instructor*: Andrew Millison, with guests Tom Ward, Larry Korn, Ish Shalom
and others

*Field trips* to Mountain Homestead, Cob Cottage Company and others

*Prerequisite*: Permaculture Design Certificate or comparable introductory
course

This course is open to both enrolled OSU students and to the general public.
We will dive deeper into Permaculture with an intensive design and
implementation project, an extended field trip to Southern Oregon to meet
with advanced teachers and see some of the most developed Permaculture sites
in the state, and an array of other guest presenters from the best that our
region has to offer.

Some topics we will cover in depth from the Permaculture perspective are
agroforestry and social forestry, seed breeding and production, farm-scale
water catchment and distribution, natural building and village design,
perennial polyculture and forest garden design, and more. Our design project
will be broad scale: the western agricultural portion of the Oregon State
University campus, and we will utilize the planning and mapping resources of
the University wherever possible.

*Registration*:

Non-credit student:
http://hort.oregonstate.edu/Permaculture_Summer_2010

Questions? amillison@gmail.com or call 541-752-9118

More info: *www.beaverstatepermaculture.com*

  • [permaculture] OSU Corvallis, OR, Summer Permaculture Courses, Andrew Millison, 04/13/2010