permaculture - Re: [permaculture] manual tools for tilling?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephen Sherman <spsherm@msn.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] manual tools for tilling?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:36:37 -0600

There are a bunch of variables which will effect the answer (and how hard you will be working by hand), such as the extent of the grass's roots, how rocky and deep the soil is, how wet/dry it is, etc. However a few thoughts:

Wheel hoes, and the like which are human powered are not a good choice for breaking sod. There is a reason people have used horses/oxen/etc to pull a plow for centuries. Breaking soil/sod by hand can be done, but it is going to take a shovel/turning fork or the like, one shovel/fork full at a time. If you want to go the motorized route (gas powered roto-tiller) then you might consider hiring it out, as it is still alot of work to break sod with one of those. A good discussion of preparing new ground can be found in Steve Solomon's book "Gardening when it counts." Solomon contends it is almost as much work keeping a roto-tilling going through new ground as it is digging by hand. Of course if you are not the person behind the tiller, then that may not matter to you.

Probably the best/easiest way to prepare new sod is to cover it in mulch for a year before you plant. Of course not much use if you want to plant this year. But if you cover the grass with the standard sheet composting layers (or even just a weed/grass proof barrier and some mulch stuff on top) for a year, all the grass and roots will be gone and you can easily prepare your garden the next year. It also allows you to add fertility to the garden area and build soil ahead of time. Perhaps something to consider for the future.

However if you need to move ahead with the garden area now, if your terrain allows, getting a neighbor with a small tractor and roto-tiller attachment (or plow and disks) to come and work the ground might be the fastest/easiest alternative. Regardless of who/how the soil prep is done, be sure that the soil is at the right moisture level for working, otherwise considerable harm can be done to the soil.