permaculture - Re: [permaculture] manual tools for tilling?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] manual tools for tilling?
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:11:03 -0400

Marjory wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am about to start a good sized plot for a three sisters garden - about 60'x40'. The soil is a loose sand with a bit of loam. It currently has a good cover of annual rye grass. As my husband runs off to find a motorized tiller to prepare the ground I am wondering if there is a low tech version of a tool that could do the job? I've heard about the Glazer wheel hoe being able to do some light cultivation with a plow attachment. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or any suggestions? what tools would work to cultivate a plot this size? I could do it with a shovel... but that would take a bit longer than I am hoping to get it done in.

Things in this list are all you need & there's how-to info there too.

Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq
http://www.scytheconnection.com/ The Scythe Connection (the Vidos)
http://scytheworks.ca/ Scythe Works (the Vidos)

Pics of my hand tools, fields and some garden beds I am working on in my FB page:
The fields and gardens: 44 pix
http://www.facebook.com/IWouldBeAFanButNoPageListPrivacy?ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=158262&id=579517152
The hand tools I use to dig the beds: 22 pix
http://www.facebook.com/IWouldBeAFanButNoPageListPrivacy?ref=ts#!/album.php?aid=158513&id=579517152