permaculture - Re: [permaculture] White flies in the greenhouse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] White flies in the greenhouse
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:36:05 -0400

Dick Pierce wrote:
I recall I think that Jerome Otchenkowski at CRMPI in Basalt, CO had mints
and other similar odiferous plants in the "air stream" into his greenhouse.
His method was big clumps of mint growing outdoors next to his lower
[elevation] greenhouse windows - the natural convection of air through his
g'house from low to high, sucked air in from the lower windows and over the
mint bushes. I believe he stated that he had grapes producing all year and
never any problem with Whiteflies. Hope this tidbit helps

For an all season, all climatic zone _possible_ solution:

Procure a number of or make your own aromatherapy essential oil vaporization bowl. It is a simple device that looks like an hourglass
with a metal bowl suspended over a candle holder. You might make effective use of various mint oils, neem (tea tree) and eucalyptus;
available from aromatherapy suppliers; good quality and organic would probably be best. It would also be wise to make sure noone working in the greenhouse has allergies or sensitivity to any of these oils;
low concentration of the vapors and use of a fan to circulate air
away from the vaporizer would be wise. It is also possible that many people will be sensitive to vaporized aromatic botanic oils and there may be some health risk involved with exposure.

Has anyone tried this method of biocontrl of insect pests in a greenhouse or sunspace?

....:LL