permaculture - Re: [permaculture] White flies in the greenhouse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] White flies in the greenhouse
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:10:05 -0500

I recall I think that Jerome Otchenkowski at CRMPI in Basalt, CO had mints
and other similar odiferous plants in the "air stream" into his greenhouse.
His method was big clumps of mint growing outdoors next to his lower
[elevation] greenhouse windows - the natural convection of air through his
g'house from low to high, sucked air in from the lower windows and over the
mint bushes. I believe he stated that he had grapes producing all year and
never any problem with Whiteflies. Hope this tidbit helps

Dick Pierce

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Stephen Sherman <spsherm@msn.com> wrote:

> After reading the aphid in the GH thread, I thought I would ask about a
> similar problem I am having, white flies.
>
> White flies tend to be a persistent problem in my GH, worse in the
> warmer months, almost disappearing in winter but they always reappear
> the next spring. I've tried various things: yellow sticky cards, soap
> sprays, etc but nothing seems that effective for any length of time.
> Without continuous battle the white flies quickly rebuild their
> population levels.
>
> Any thoughts about control methods or predators that would be effective
> in a year round cool temp GH?
>
> TIA
> Google command to search archives:
> site: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture searchstring