permaculture - [permaculture] youtube experiment with sepp holzer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] youtube experiment with sepp holzer
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:29:42 -0700

I have read a lot of stuff over the last week about how some videos
get 100,000 views and some get only 10 views. There are so many
factors that may or may not be. And maybe none of it makes a lick of
difference.

For those that are interested in a bit of an experiment, I would like
to ask the following of you. I have four sepp holzer videos on
youtube. The fourth is the least popular. Therefore, if we do the
things that people say will make a difference, then it should move #4
ahead of #1.

So if you search for "sepp holzer" on youtube,

video 1 is at position 9

video 2 is at position 11

video 3 is at position 14

video 4 is at position 15

So the experiment is: go to video 4. Give it five stars. Add it to
your "favorite" list (the little heart just below the stars). And
then add a comment.

As I write this, video 4 has 7 five star ratings, is on four favorite
lists, has three comments and 964 views.

Video 1 has 16 ratings averaging 4.88 stars, is on 22 favorite lists,
has three comments and 3831 views.

I suspect that if 20 people add stars, add a comment and add to the
favorites, then #4 would end up ahead of #1 even though it has a lot
fewer views. Otherwise, all this stuff I've been reading could be a
steaming pile of horse potatoes.

Here is video #4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4LPTcP_EHU

Please help me with this experiment - I promise to share the results
when I'm done.

Thanks!

  • [permaculture] youtube experiment with sepp holzer, paul wheaton, 03/12/2010