permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lifestyles of the Voluntarily Heatless

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lifestyles of the Voluntarily Heatless
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:53:06 -0800

At 1:57 PM -0800 1/26/10, <fdnokes@hotmail.com> wrote:
....We tell ourselves it's 'just for fun', but we often keep the temperature at
60 F.
We do have a little portable heater in the bathroom that we turn on before
showering....

I'm in the SF bay area where winter temps are generally in the high 50s in the daytime and in the low 40s at night, and generally it's comfortable indoors (a fun 60F, more or less). When it gets much colder, I've added bubblewrap curtains next to the computer desk to cut down on drafts, as well as a small portable heater. I sleep with a fleece hat, and often wear a hat and an extra layer of poly fleece if sitting indoors, including fleece socks. And you're right, it feels colder sitting inside than being active outside, so I often take off a layer to go outside.

I've heard of someone in Oregon who claims light bulbs are the most efficient form of electric heat, so uses about 8 bulbs (no higher than eye level, in floor and table lamps) to heat the room where he spends the most time.

I don't heat the bathroom. I feel a lot warmer after a shower if I've scrubbed my skin with a washcloth -- it gets the warmth to the surface. I often think of the herbalist who said he took showers from the hose in his Santa Cruz yard because cold water stimulates the immune system. So each morning and evening as I get dressed and undressed and the cold air hits my skin, I think, good, I'm stimulating my immune system. Haven't tried the combo of cold water and cold air...brrr.