permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lifestyles of the Voluntarily Heatless

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lifestyles of the Voluntarily Heatless
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:57:42 -0800

This is very interesting.
We are on Vancouver Island. In the most moderate part of Canada, but still have something more like winter.
This one has been very mild with rarely a freezing temperature, and comfortably above freezing most of the time.
We tell ourselves it's 'just for fun', but we often keep the temperature at 60 F.
We do have a little portable heater in the bathroom that we turn on before showering.
And we have taken to wearing warm clothes around the house.
I also invested in a wii fit plus and have found the exercise wonderfully warming.
We are not heatless, but just not boosting it up to high levels.
One thing I find interesting is how the same clothing that feels warm outside sometimes seems cooler indoors at higher temps.
In part because I'm walking around, but not sure of the whole story.

Very interested in hearing tips, survival strategies for cold weather temps.
Definitely have noticed a change in that I seem to be adapting to the temps quite a bit.
Huge differences felt inside when it's colder, windier. The thermostat is in a 'core' area of the house, and the difference between what it says and areas closer to the 'surface' of the house can vary greatly in colder, windier times.

Thanks for raising this interesting topic at this time!

Frances