permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Spanish Permaculture Handouts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Spanish Permaculture Handouts
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:12:22 -0500

Scott Pittman wrote:

I am also teaching a course for the Army National Guard to troops who are
going to Afghanistan to work with villagers on agriculture and other rural
tasks; I would appreciate any current information on Afghanistan weather,
soil, crops, animal husbandry, water and etc.

Promote farming cooperatives wherein a limited group of farmers share
1) a tractor, 70hp
2) cultivating equipment, Yeomans Keyline plow system, shank type field cultivator
3) tillage equipment, Howard Rotavator
4) bedding equipment, Roll-A-Cone single row hiller bedder
5) harvesting equipment, haybine or mower, hay tedder and baler, combine, seed cleaner
6) possibly a skid loader to prapare swales, berms and water impoundments; spread compost, manures and natural mineral fertilizers
on farmland; i.e. raised beds

If you could airlift the equipment I have on my farm to Afganistan
and take it on tour across the country, visiting key farming sites,
provide a capable, imaginative operator you would generate considerable interest in innovative and sustainable agricultural techniques. This is a whole systems approach. Teach conversion from row cropping to raised bed farming.

LL