permaculture - [permaculture] County and global level permaculture design - gotany?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Read" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] County and global level permaculture design - gotany?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:23:03 +0100

Hallo friendof thetrees,

In France we have developed a plan to implement PmC at the scales you talk
about, some of the general ideas are found in this tract
http://steveread.free.fr/downloads/same%20planet%20different%20world.pdf, it
needs an update mind you!

So in 2009 we organised the Perma-fest, and of course as it was PmC it had
many functions, but one was to start making approaches to the many, many
eco-active associations and orgs in France to present them the idea that we
could all get together, have some fun and also using PmC as our tool, come up
with designs for all the French bio-regions, and link them together, the
selling point being that we can move from being reactive to eco-problems to
being active in eliminating the root causes through good design. This is work
in progress and may take some time.

One key point here is that there is a very strong differentiation between
professional and amateur, the former being 'serious' and the latter 'having a
fiddle', so we have a priority which is to really show, through our
activities and work that we are serious players, work the attractive force so
that all the eco-associations will want to play with us. This is coming along
nicely and in the French PmC Association we see our job as being not
promoting PmC per se but bringing about socio-ecological change using PmC
design as our tool.

The above is people working locally to bring about local change ((all the
worlds problems can be solved at a local level !!)), and yes we are working
with the transition town movement here. I am hoping to launch this year at
the European PmC Conference a European scale initiative, effectively to
create a 'kining' between all the PmC orgs in each Euro country so that we
can start working the Euro transnational political scene to apply the PmC
principle of "give back responsibility to life and people" as per the
Designers manual. The objective of the alliance would be to design how to do
this and bring it about, thus bringing about a designed dismantling of the
centralised politial structures that have brought us this far but are perhaps
too inefficient to take us any further, especially if we want to develop
"ecologically". Again this may take some time.

Anyway we have 15cms of snow here which is causing the few people who got
concerned about global warming to have doubts as its looking like winters
used to when Granny was young. This shows up some of the problems of whipping
people into action by presenting us with medium to longterm eco-doom
projections when what we see looking out the window is the short-term stuff.
Still as they used to say, snow in winter brings a year of good harvests. I
hope that we can avoid the doom and gloom, create a reaction approach with
the Fr PmC initiative and return to the positivism of the original PmC
message, create an action towards a better life, which, happily, would also
remove the root causes of the socio-environmental problems we live
with/create.

'environmental'. showing my age there, I remember when some people were
'environmentalists'!

Steve