permaculture - [permaculture] corporate agroindustry news tidbits with a side of ranting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Patrick <forgeadams@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] corporate agroindustry news tidbits with a side of ranting
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:10:53 -0800 (PST)

Corporate investors lead the rush
for control over overseas farmland
The new farm owners

http://www.grain.org/articles/#Bold55

Paired with this article is an excellent table of investors involved in
agricultural land acquisition. Lately foreign government/corporate agrarian
counter-reform is where the speculative capital's post-greentech investment
bubble afterparty is.
---

37 years fighting to farm - oil palm conflicts get hot in indonesia

In moments of occupation there is a temporary freedom when the company
cannot operate, and the
people have to decide how best to use that
freedom.
http://libcom.org/news/37-years-fighting-farm-oil-palm-conflicts-get-hot-indonesia-04012010

How would you all approach land (re)occupation? We need permaculture tactics
pertinent to displaced people. This though has been in back of my brain for a
while, especially since my friend told me his experience in Choco Columbia
were he served as a human rights observer (aka white guy foreigner human
shield). At one point the campesinos he was with felled palm trees on their
farmland (they had been driven out by UAC for the sake of the plantations).
Palm oil generally comes paired with paramilitary goons. I've heard palm oil
is as economically livable as coca production, enabling rapid land ownership
consolidation in the Andean region.
---
Biodiversity Report from the Americas Program pf CIP-November 2009

Argentina: World Forestry Congress
Mexico: Government Approves Genetically Modified Corn Cultivation
Condemnation of "Sustainable" Palm Oil
http://americas.irc-online.org/am/6584
---

I kind of expected more of an immediate wailing and gnashing of teeth in
response to the mexican maize moratorium on transgentics ending,
but it's probably in the works as part of this year during the coming social
mobilization.
http://narconews.com/Issue63/article4002.html

I reckon soon there will be a big new push with the next generations GE
seeds. It's be real sexi-like with the familiar cynical humanitarian
trappings except this time with rubes advocating a marriage organics and
transgenics (e.g. Pamela Ronald and her partner Raoul Adamchak of UC Davis).
http://www.longnow.org/seminars/02009/jul/28/organically-grown-genetically-engineered-food-future/
  <-Here's an mp3 of their rather condescendingly simplistic talk. To me they
come off as fairly inured to or in denial of the corporate genocide against
traditional seed despite (Pamela is a plant geneticist WTF?) .

One example of a poverty/hunger solution GE crop they cite is rice in East
India and Bangladesh (is mentioned 1:18 into their long now talk). She claims
flood resistant rice varieties could not be be conversationally bred into
farmer acceptable local varieties.

http://www.cintdis.org/
Dr. Deb Debal of Center of Interdisciplinary who maintains  600+ rice
varieties on his farm, has grown and disrupted flood and salt  resistant
strains of rice to farmers, with successful adoption. He claims one variety
will produce in areas that flood up to 18 feet (I know that may sound
hyperbolic).

I wonder if the failure of adoption of non-local rices (necessitating genetic
modification of local varieties) is more a failure of extentionism imposed
from outside, rather than grassroots farmer science and agro-solidarity.

Patrick O'Connor
Oakland, CA
http://delicious.com/phoconnor