permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Interwiki maps

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Interwiki maps
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 01:37:07 -0500

Chris Watkins wrote:
Subject was: "Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact"

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 08:04, Lawrence F. London, Jr. <
venaurafarm@bellsouth.net> wrote:

But if that's the path we take, the very least we must do is to add each
other to our interwiki maps, which allows "interwiki linking" without the
nofollow tag - this will give the sites a modest boost in search
rankings.

That too, for sure. Enough admin types need to be attracted to this
project so that tasks like this can be carried out in addition to lower
level admins and editors.

Who are the admins that we need to talk with on the various wikis, to have
each others' wikis added to the interwiki maps?

Just a quick reply. Rich Morris, of PFAF (get his email id from that site),is the top level admin for permaculture.info. interwiki linking would be wise between that site and yours.

What about the tech skills to do it? We can get it done for Appropedia (we
have the people that have the skills), but I know many wiki folks find it
confusing. If assistance is needed, let's see what we can arrange. And it's
always okay to ask for help on this list: Tech for sustainability
wikis<http://groups.google.com/group/tech-for-sustainability-wikis>

And re attracting admin types - indeed, we're very keen to have more!

Thats a fact, they are in short supply.
My interest is, at this time, less contributing to a group effort and more building my own wiki, on biointensive market farming and homestead gardening. I have lots of media and all of my writing on the subject to contribute; any others similarly interested can come on board and develop their area of interest or collaborate with me. I don't know how that would fit in at other wikis. I am planning on a new permaculture wiki also that will be entirely a group effort and a reflection of the work of those who take part in developing this knowledgebase. I/we will not be under any pressure to get work done, can take our time; resources are free so our own time is the only expense..

I disagree with allowing anonymous input,
certainly not with a global access system.

We've had this conversation many times, and remain committed to allowing
anon contributions, as well as monitoring the site actively. In practice,
this improves the quality of the wiki - it's counter-intuitive, but so are
many things about wikis :-).

That makes good sense and is a better way to go but you have the staff to maintain your site, we are volunteers and unpaid with many other demands on our time.

LL