permaculture - Re: [permaculture] grey water and disinfecting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Wardle <cjwardle@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] grey water and disinfecting
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 19:44:20 +0500

Hi Gene,
I spent a wonderful four months as a permaculture intern on Surya Prasad
Adhikari's Organic Coffee Farm in Nepal.
We used EM (Effective Microorganisms) as a means to reduce the odours
generated from the floor of the buffaloe shed and as my beloved and I slept
in the small room next door to "the girls", I can vouch for its
effectiveness.
Now, I'm not sure how effective EM would be as a "germ killer" in your
context, but is is certainly something that would add to the grey water,
rather than making it more toxic.
Salaams from Islamabad,
Chris.
~~~~~
Online at Facebook/Skype/Twitter/LinkedIn: cjwardle
Mobile: +92 333 784 1679
~~~~~
PS: As an aside ...
While the Buffaloes were kind enough to provide us with milk, their most
useful input (IMHO) was manure. This was semi-composted before being moved
on to the worm house and turned into the best of organic fertiliser by
millions of willing, wriggling workers. Ultimately it was returned to boost
the quality of the soil and hence the yield of Surya-ji's several thousand
coffee bushes, who's life provide a productive understory to his abundant
food forest gardens.
:-)