permaculture - [permaculture] Balsam poplar spacing in Ontario

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Balsam poplar spacing in Ontario
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:39:20 -0500 (EST)

I think the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources would have some ideas
about this. I recall that in the 1970s they were associated with work on
clonal poplars in eastern Ontario, for pulp and paper I believe.

Planting distance is one thing, and the distance at which the poplars
finally decide to space themselves after root sprouting is another.

I read of Russian work from the 1960s I think, using caragana to grow in a
ssociation with poplar to fix nitrogen to enhance the growth of the
poplar.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

[snip]