permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:45:52 -0500

christophe mckeon gonzalez de leon wrote:
... the ability for every participating wiki to
link/access every piece of information in every particiating web
resource and do it transparently. Go to any one of them and you are at
all of them at once. This is the way it works.

yeah i think this is the ideal to strive for. i don't think
it's how it actually works in practice at the moment though.
it could be largely automated with semantic linked data

Could you share any insights on how that can and may well be implemented? Is there anything out there we can all use now;
maybe something to enhance our respective wikis
or is whole new wiki software required, i.e. some future version of MediaWiki or a completely new and different software web application?
Or can you create a plugin or individual app to run alongside a wiki
(like on ibiblio, Wordpress, BB Press, SMF), interlinked with that wiki?

"the bioinformatics, biomedical and bioengineering communities are all
early adopters of semantic technologies because they are trying to
manage massive complexity. aside from the ethical nature of
permaculture, at base it is about managing complexity through design.
let's not let the bioengineers reep all the rewards of semantic
technologies, i really believe they are the right fit for a
permaculture knowledge-base."

You talk about the early adopters. Is there any way we can avail ourselves of this new technology now, using the web apps we are currently using or migrating to new software platforms. To be sure ibiblio is current with this technology. They would be a good host for an experimental project. I have been talking with them about utilizing new student interns to help me with several installations I want to do there. My plans are to get MediaWiki, SMF, BBPress and Wordpress installed and all linked together with the blog as the portal.
Than I can invite others to collaborate as admins, area admins and editors.

There are certainly some stick complex issues at ground level regarding who can access what in a Wiki when you are a globally reached resource
and have people from every country wanting to submit input into a new or existing data area about their region, village or farm. I guess each system, each paricipating wiki needs to be able to accomodate creation of data areas representing every country, not just their own country or bioregion. This is something I would like to see, rice farming homesteaders writing about their farming region with descriptions and pictures of their tools, sites and methods.