permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bob Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:46:48 -0700

Regarding the need for an "organization" to "lead" the permaculture movement. . .

I am not so sure. I continue to think that one of our strengths is our total decentralization, even admitting the risks therein (such as problem teachers etc). Organizations consume resources and energy and are not risk-free endeavors. "Big Organization" can facilitate e.g,. the hijacking of the movement for partisan political ends, dilution of the message, re-writing of the message, etc. It also seems likely to me that Big Organization would inevitably subvert the present universality of the permaculture movement. "Universality" referring to our ability to speak to and interact with everyone, not just those that are politically or socially correct by the present definition of the "Organization".

The model of underground rhizomes and above ground runners works quite well in natgure. I think its worked well for the permaculture movement. I'll find the discussion at Chaordic and post something more substantive about this after Christmas. (A link pointing to the discussion would help.)

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org
www.energyconservationinfo.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grifen" <grifenhope@gmail.com>