permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Knowledge Ecosysterm! very important

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Watkins <chriswaterguy@appropedia.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Knowledge Ecosysterm! very important
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 02:42:50 +1100

Evan - I agree wholeheartedly:

How *we can and must* open permaculture knowledge up to hundreds languages
> and people all over the world and bring it from the digital dark ages!
> Publishing on demand will cut out the middle men, save money, and open up
> content!
> Richard Baraniuk: Goodbye, textbooks; hello, open-source
> learning<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRymi-lFHpE>
> recommended sites working in this direction appropedia.org

Yes - and keep watching Appropedia.org, as much more is planned, and it's a
very active community, with a lot of ideas and passion about open knowledge.

Re the comments on languages, one factor that might be relevant is machine
translation, which is getting much better (while still sometimes being wrong
in amusing ways). While I think there will be a place for human translation
for a long time yet, there are some sites already experimenting with
integrating machine translation, and we'll try that on Appropedia in the new
year, as discussed here: Google Translate in the header of
Appropedia?<http://groups.google.com/group/appropedia-community/t/f7a1daced2e25e59>It's
a good backup option for when we don't have the particular page in the
particular language.

Cheers,
Chris