permaculture - [permaculture] Update on the outcome of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Update on the outcome of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 02:06:04 -0500

I contacted my state's Senators, Hagan and Burr and received replies from them and an additional one from Senator Richard Burr, Republican Senator from North Carolina. In this letter he says:

<first paragraph deleted>

"The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510), which was recently approved by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, would expand our food safety system and protect consumers while exempting small farmers and local food businesses from unnecessary
and overreaching requirements. During the debate on the bill,
I introduced an amendment to ensure that farms, small businesses,
and businesses that sell directly to consumers are represented in the process of developing guidance in the public safety standards and that the FDA conduct outreach and education to these folks through local public meetings. I am pleased to report that my amendment was accepted.

I also worked with the North Carolina Department of Agriculture to include language in the bill that would utilize current state food safety inspectors instead of new FDA employees, which encourages
better coordination among local, state, and federal food safety agencies, and a common sense approach to food safety as it related to small farms."

<last paragraph deleted>

Here's a big thanks to Senator Burr. I am delighted that representatives of the Republican Party are helping small and local farmers and associated businessmen in this substantial way.

Lawrence London
Venaura Farm
Sustainably-Grown Produce
lflj@bellsouth.net
venaurafarm@bellsouth.net
919 360 3336
919 360 3303

  • [permaculture] Update on the outcome of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510), Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/16/2009