permaculture - [permaculture] Sedore stove?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Sedore stove?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:29:50 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone on the list have direct experience with a Sedore stove?   At
www.SedoreStovewest.com  there is glowing (no pun intended) praise for the
stove and, indeed, if the stove works as represented it deserves such praise.
It just seems that it should have had some reviews other than satisfied
customer testimonials by now.

It is a downdraft, non-electric, wood gasifier stove and, as such, is the
only one of its' kind of which I am aware.  It is also top loading and does
not require wood splitting.  Unsplit logs up to 12" in diameter and 28" long
can be fed directly into the stove.  A big plus for those of us approaching
retirement age.  Also, because it is a wood gasifier, it has the
characteristic of a masonry stove in that it should not produce any creosote
if operated properly with a an appropriate chimney.  One other feature that
is very attractive: It has up to a 15 hour burn time and since it is a
downdraft design it is theoretically possible that one would only have to
light the stove once per season as there should always be a bed of coals at
the bottom grate where all the combustion is taking place.  O.K, O.K. one
more thing:  It can even burn unseasoned wood as long as the coals have
already been established, as the downdraft design will be drying the wood
as it works it way down to the burning area of the coals; all starting at
about $2,200 versus the beginning price of $10,000 or so for a masonry stove.
Has anyone direct experience with a Sedore stove?

John Fritz, NW Arkansas.