permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sedore stove?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jim Helwig <jimhelwig@mailcan.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sedore stove?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:18:44 -0600

One big benefit of a masonry heater is the ability for the large amount of
mass to store and slowly release the heat. If you want 24 hour heat with the
Sedore stove, I suspect you need to burn 24 hours. If that is a slow burn, is
it still a highly efficient and low polluting burn? Regardless, it certainly
must produce less than the backyard burners we see popping up all over.

The cost is attractive, though. We spent over $10K on our masonry heater.
That said, we are sure glad we got it. It has performed spectacularly so far.
We love how it produces a very comfortable heat.

Jim