permaculture - [permaculture] SF Bay Farm Gig Opening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Patrick <forgeadams@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] SF Bay Farm Gig Opening
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:50:01 -0800 (PST)

The Treasure Island Job Corps Center Community Farm
TIJC was awarded funds by the Department of Labor Job Corps Center Green
Projects Grant Program to construct a sustainable, organic farm on a
three-quarter parcel within the center grounds. The farm will be constructed
in 2010 and operate thereafter.
The farm will provide organic food for students, staff, and island residents;
promote healthy life styles by making nutrient-rich organically-grown food
available; enhance student learning by educating students about sustainable
principles; encourage youth to learn about ecology, gardening, and
composting; and serve as an open gathering space for community events.
The Community Urban Farm’s primary goal is to make organic produce readily
available on Center for students, staff, and island residents. Most students
enrolled in Job Corps come from low-income urban areas that are underserved
by supermarkets, making eating healthy a difficult choice. The farm attempts
to increase access to organic foods which are typically unavailable to
low-income populations due to high cost, The Center will integrate organic
produce into the daily menu of the cafeteria, serve organic dishes at the
Center’s student-run restaurant, and provide the local community with access
to a monthly farmers market.
The cultural shift associated with the implementation of the farm highlights
the vast effect it will have on student health and the Center’s learning
environment. The use of organic produce in the student-run restaurant will
enhance culinary students’ knowledge while simultaneously providing local
residents with the opportunity to taste the flavorful produce of a successful
harvest. By incorporating the produce into the operation of the restaurant,
it will allow culinary students to practice what gourmet restaurants are
known for—using local organically-grown produce in their menus. Students will
gain a greater understanding of new culinary trends and heirloom varieties of
produce and, ultimately, become more employable in San Francisco’s large
high-end restaurant market.
Farming is becoming an increasingly important trade and exposing students to
a multitude of farming techniques will strengthen their understanding of
agricultural production. Our food system is currently becoming more localized
due to the increase in the price of petro-chemicals. It is becoming
increasingly unfeasible to transport crops large distances. As our oil supply
continues to diminish food prices will continue to surge; localization is the
key to driving costs down while simultaneously having fresh and nutrient-rich
produce available for all.
It is critical to expose students to this reality and educate them of the
importance of recycling. The farm is essentially a visual demonstration of a
closed loop recycling system. The main input of the farm is food waste from
the cafeteria, which will be turned into a nutrient-rich organic fertilizer
by using a technique called vermicomposting. The compost is required for the
farm to operate. Students will physically see their food scraps be used to
feed the farm, which will connect them to the actual process of agricultural
production.
The greatest benefit of farming is that is allows anyone with an interest to
participate. The farm will develop student work ethic and give them the
skill-set required to become urban farmers. It will teach students how to
develop high yields in small areas. The hope is that students that
participate will develop a skill-set that they can bring home to their
low-income communities after they graduate. The farm’s purpose is to educate
our community about urban agriculture, hopefully change the status quo and
bring nutrient-rich produce into the underserved areas of our society.

CLASSIFICATION & COMPENSATION:
Full time / Salary / Exempt / Compensation: DOE
QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s Degree and degree or certification in agricultural studies
required. Five years minimum experience with agriculture operations and
management. Teaching experience required. Previous experience with
nutritional education programs, organic crop production, and Spanish language
proficiency preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1.  Supervise the construction phase of the new Treasure Island Community
Farm and its subsequent educational agricultural programs.
2.  Responsible for budget tracking and providing supervision and expertise
for farm projects, such as installation of garden beds, orchards, irrigation
system, composting systems, etc.
3.  Considerable knowledge of the techniques and methods involved in
planning, organizing and coordinating recruitment and training programs for
volunteers and students.
4.  Responsible for daily maintenance of farm, equipment, and farm’s
life-cycle (seedling propagation, crop planning, planting, amending,
cultivating, pest management, crop rotation, pruning, animal husbandry,
beekeeping, making compost, harvesting, etc.).
5.  Communicate and enforce farm and greenhouse procedures and maintenance
schedules to program participants.
6. Develop a horticultural education program to teach Job Corps students
about farm operations and involve vocational trades in farm’s daily
operations.
7.  Provide initial student orientation, screening and training; develop and
implement training programs.
8. Develop materials, manuals, and resource information for volunteers, staff
and students.
9. Develop and handles volunteer/student work schedules and assignments.
10. Maintain records on volunteers and students time contributed to the farm
as well as farm records on inputs and outputs.
11. Organize volunteer program to assist with farm’s operation and create
marketing program to encourage community participation in the program.
12. Establish and maintain community linkages and serves as the primary
contact and resource to outside organizations that want to participate in the
farm’s operation.
13. Considerable knowledge of available resources within the local Bay Area
community.
14. Develop appreciation and incentive programs for members of the volunteer
staff.
15. Develop news media announcements and other recruitment information aids
such as brochures, newsletters, and fliers and Participate in promotional and
public relations activities for the Treasure Island Community Farm.
16.  Assist in scheduling, designing, planning, developing, staging and
staffing special events.
17. Ability to plan and organize a variety of programs for groups of various
sizes and establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide
variety of people.
18. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
19. Manage the overall performance benchmarks of TIJC Community Farm.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.

Interested parties should e-mail a resume, cover letter and references to:
Willow Rosenthal, TIJC Farm Consultant; willow@cityslickerfarms.org

Equal Opportunity Statement: All qualified candidates will receive
consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, disability, political affiliation, marital status,
sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.