permaculture - [permaculture] RE optimistic permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: seaseal <seaseal@got.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] RE optimistic permaculture
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:49:30 -0800

I'd like to chime in on restoring soil quality with or without animals. I've been working on my extremely depleted soils for more than ten years. I do not have any sheep, goats, or other four-legged ones (the cats don't count), but I have chickens.

I collect food scraps and excess products from orchards and farms. I put this through the chicken compound first, and then it goes through worm bins. When added to the soil, the worm castings are rich in biota that help make the soil fertile with great tilth.

If people are feeding cattle, sheep et al with conventionally grown grains, they may be introducing seeds they don't want into their system. The biota also may have been exposed to chemicals and might be resistant to natural controls, such as soil biota.

Those are my main concerns for using four-legged animals.

Cecile
seaseal@got.net

Unrealistic expectations are planned resentments.

  • [permaculture] RE optimistic permaculture, seaseal, 12/05/2009