permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Svar: autumn Seedballs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Svar: autumn Seedballs?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:46:01 -0700 (PDT)

George,

The original documents are in French, at least for Bonfils.  I have a machine
translated English version of Bonfils’ text which is perfectly
incomprehensible.  Unfortunately, the person who had it made refused to share
his copy of the French original.  I also came across a discussion of French
agriculturists the other day which indicated that the original is definitely
not available, not for money and not for sweet words, even in France.  You
probably know Mark Moody’s English summary of Bonfils’ work entitled “The
Harmonious Wheatsmith”, or something like that.  Mark Moody may have a copy
of Bonfils’ work in French.  People talk a lot about Bonfils’ Winter Wheat.
Unfortunately, I haven’t heard of anyone actually practicing it.  Where I
live, wheat is normally grown in the winter by the traditional method
(Nov.-June).  It is far too dry to grow clover or sow wheat in the summer.  I
know of a Natural Farmer in Hokkaido, the
northernmost island of Japan, who sows wheat in Nov. to let it go dormant
during the winter for it to grow again first thing in spring.  But she
doesn’t use clover, at least not yet.

I think, I still have some of the manuscripts of Emilia Hazelip someone once
uploaded to the net as image files.  I’m not sure if they correspond to the
data you look for.  Anyway, there are a number of English language texts on
the net about her Synergistic method.  Perhaps you know that when Fukuoka was
shown pictures of Emilia’s place he said that it wasn’t Natural Farming.
Well, that doesn’t matter to me.  Nevertheless, even though I like her
general philosophy, I don’t like raised beds.  It may not be so bad in a
temperate climate (where raised beds were first conceived), but under sever
dry conditions, as in my case, the disadvantages of drying out become too
obvious.  I prefer to raise my entire growing area by gradually adding
organic matter to the top, or if I had a very deep and sandy soil, I might
even go for lowered beds (waffle beds).

Cheers, Dieter

>From g.parlow@gmx.at Sun Sep 20 15:32:01 2009
well, i am satisfied with the german text, for i can read it.

> I think, I still have some of the manuscripts of Emilia Hazelip
> someone once uploaded to the net as image files. I�m not sure if
> they correspond to the data you look for.

what i am looking for is at the end of emilias text, were she gives
species recommendations for the tropics. if this is shown on your
image files i would be very grateful if i can receive the relevant one.

best,
georg

Mit freundlichen Gr��en,

Georg Parlow